For officers who want to understand how to prepare their council's Annual Governance & Accountability Return on a receipts and payments basis and comply with the requirements of the audit process.
There are alternative sessions for:
Councils under £25,000
Councils that prepare Income and Expenditure accounts
This session introduces the Annual Return and the stages of the audit process, enabling you to complete all the relevant steps correctly.
• Closing the accounts
• Assets and borrowing
• Internal audit
• Reviewing internal control
• The Annual Return
• Electors rights
• Publication requirements
By the end of this session you will:
• Be able to identify the steps needed as part of the audit process
• Understand how to close the council's accounts
• Understand how to complete the Annual Return
• Be able to correctly allow the exercise of electors' rights
• Recognise the need to review internal controls
Session leader: Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP
Steve is a former Town Clerk and an accountant with 30 years' experience in public and voluntary sector finance. He now specialises in delivering training and advice on VAT and finance matters for the local council sector.