This session give councillors and clerks an understanding of the need for internal controls and how they work, with practical examples and case studies.
• Roles and responsibilities
• Financial risks
• Purpose of internal controls
• Case studies
• Examples of controls
• Review of internal controls
By the end of Local Council Finance you will:
• Understand the council's and RFO's duties regarding internal control
• Be aware of the purpose of internal controls
• Be able to identify examples of internal controls
• Know when to review internal controls
Steve Parkinson, The Parkinson Partnership LLP
Steve is a former Town Clerk & an accountant with 30 years' experience in public sector finance, who specialises in advice & training for the local council sector.
Tim Light, Lightatouch
Tim has 29 years experience of internal audit with Hampshire County Council. A past President of the Association of Accounting Technicians, he has undertaken internal audits at parish councils for the last ten years and delivers training on related topics.